Looking for a more wholesome and wheat free alternative to cream of wheat cereal?
You can still get the same texture and taste of Cream of Wheat cereal (without the gluten and anti nutrients) by using this nutritious seed grain alternative containing millet, amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa.
Seed grains are not technically grains, but cook up just like them being the perfect step up for gluten and grain intolerant people.
This is the perfect dish to warm up a cloudy fall morning and it is easy and fast to make at home!
Cream of Seed Cereal
What you will need:
1/2 cup millet
1/2 cup amaranth
1/2 cup buckwheat
1/2 cup quinoa
2 cookie trays for toasting (or simply use a frying pan on medium heat on your stovetop).
How to do it:
1) Rinse the seed grains in water (important to get rid of the bitter taste) and then place on two separate cookie sheets (I like to put millet & amaranth together and quinoa and buckwheat together because they are similar in size).
2) Toast in the oven for 20 minutes or more (until they are toasty-dry and have a nutty flavour). The time it takes to do this will depend on how much water is left on your seed grains. You can let the water drip out through a colander for a few minutes so that they are not dripping wet.
3) Take the toasted seeds out of the oven and let cool.
*Alternately (and especially if you have digestive trouble) soak the seed grains overnight in water with a splash of apple cider vinegar and then dehydrate until crispy again (great raw food alternative too)!
How to make the fresh cereal:
1) Grind 1/2 cup of the toasted seed grains in a coffee grinder.
2) Mix in a pot with 3 cups of water and 1/8 tsp unrefined salt.
3) Bring to a boil (stirring constantly) and then simmer for 15 min (stirring occasionally) makes about 4 small servings or 2 large.
4) Top with generous amounts of buttter/coconut oil, cream, milk or hemp milk, unrefined sugar, chopped fresh or dried fruit and cinnamon to taste!
Kid tested and approved! Enjoy!