This recipe is inspired and adapted from my new favourite cookbook: Grain Free Gourmet (if you are grain free, run, don’t walk to get this cookbook)!
I was trying to make their lemon cake but totally didn’t read the instructions! I thought the lemon custard part was the icing, but it was supposed to be part of the batter!
This time the mistake was a blessing really, because this basic cake recipe works well with pretty much any kind of icing on top- we’ve done chocolate too! It is easy and no one will know it isn’t wheat, especially if you use a less granular almond flour.
Almond Flour Birthday Cake
What you will need:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup honey (add a 1/4 cup if you are going to serve them as cupcakes)
1/2 tsp unrefined salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 cups almond flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup water
3 whole eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
How to do it:
1) Mix almond flour, water and yogurt in a glass or stainless steel bowl.
2) Cover with a cloth and let stand 4hrs (optional).
3) Melt butter and honey (if solid) on the stovetop.
4) Blend all remaining ingredients into the batter with a fork or electric mixer.
5) Generously coat a muffin tray with butter or coconut oil.
6) Bake at 325 degrees for 40 min.
Variations: Add citrus juice 1/4 cup, plus the rind (as shown in the photo!)