If you’ve ever been addicted to frappuccinos, iced capuccinos or any otherwise blended drink (and you’re a crunchy mama), you probably have some idea:
1. That the ingredients aren’t exactly top notch. (Conventional milk/soy milk, sugar(s) and powdered flavours? Ummm, I think I’ll pass.)
2. How insanely expensive they are. I used to tell my husband that frapps were the ‘new smoking’. They cost almost as much (in one blog post, a woman calculated she could spend more than $400/year buying 2 blended coffee drinks per week). They are also addictive (see my disclosure) and can take a round out of your health…
3. That there’s a way to give them a probiotic ‘makeover’.
In fact, I’ll bet there’s almost NO crap food that you still have a hankerin’ for every once in a while that you have to live without. With a little bit of creativity and kitchen alchemy magic, you can upgrade the quality of almost anything….
Some are simpler than others. Like this Iced Capp. Summer Bomb. Thus named, because we were all blown away when we tried it….
Iced Capp summer bomb
- 1 c yogurt (homemade or organic, full fat, unhomogenized brand such as Saugeen or Jerseyland)
- 2 organic bananas
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp *Dandy Blend
- 1 tray of ice cubes (approx)
- Few capsules of probiotics (optional)
Add ingredients in the order listed into Vitamix or other high powered blender. If you don’t have a Vitamix, try putting the ice in a bag or tea towel and crushing it with a meat pounder/rolling pin or whatnot to break up the large chunks before blending.
Blend until smooth. See? Easy peasy.
*Dandy Blend is a coffee-type substitute made from roasted dandelion root (which has tremendous health benefits). It is made from some grains in addition to the dandelion root so you may want to avoid it if you follow a grain-free diet but apparently it is GLUTEN FREE (I just noticed this on the Dandy Blend FAQ page).
Disclosure: In my late 20s, I spent a small fortune on Starbucks blended drinks. That was before I was a holistic mama. True story.